Sunday, July 13, 2014

Zucchini Bread (gluten-free, egg-free)

I have two zucchini plants and four yellow squash plants in the garden which are all going a little crazy.  We eat zucchini or yellow squash every day, but I'm not complaining because I love it, and I don't have to go to the store to get it! My neighbors also love me...so far.

This recipe was adapted from Starting from Scratch at http://www.getezpockets.com/blog/egg-free-gluten-free-zucchini-bread-recipe/

I've made a change as of August 2, 2014.  I found the original recipe I posted was more cupcake-y than muffin-y, so I changed sugar amounts - original had 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar if you want zucchini cupcakes instead of muffins. :)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/8 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini 
½ cup chopped walnuts, or cranberries, or raisins, or pecans, or chocolate chips, or...

Instructions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon. Add olive oil, milk, vanilla, and zucchini and mix again. Add the walnuts or other goodies and mix one last time.  I put it in a greased square baking dish (about 8x 8), baked for 60 min.  

OR put paper liners in 12 muffin cups. Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin cups. I filled them to the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  

This last batch of muffins I put a few chocolate chunks (Enjoy Life mega chunks) on the top and when they came out of the oven I waited 5 minutes, then spread the chocolate around like frosting. Turned out very sweet, but we ate them with ham for breakfast and they were very delicious.

Notes:
**Looks a little dry? Keep stirring! The moisture from the zucchini will make it turn out just right. 
**Be sure to let it cool completely before cutting. If you try to cut it while it is still hot, it is just a gooey mess (but it still tastes really good).
**You can also use 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour if you don't want to or don't have access to the flours listed.  I'm trying to avoid gums which are often found in store bought all-purposes. 
**On a whim I tried substituting apple juice for the almond milk and it worked just the same.
**Last note, I promise! While eating this I thought maybe it would be good with raisins or chocolate chips added, so that will be the next version. :)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment